Monday, December 7, 2009

Sugar Cookies



Grandma’s Sugar Cookies

1 cup shortening
2 eggs
5 cups flour ***
1 t. salt
2 cups sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 t. soda
1 cup butter milk
1/4 + tsp ground nutmeg



Cream together shortening and sugar.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well.  Rolls out on floured surface and cut in shapes.  Bake at 350° for 9 to 11 minutes.

*** Add extra flour for right consistency for rolling out cookies.

Cream Cheese Frosting

2 3-ounce packages of cream cheese
½ cup softened margarine or butter
2 teaspoons vanilla (or any other extract flavor)
4 ½ to 4 ¾ cups powdered sugar
1/4- 1/2 tsp salt

Beat together cream cheese and margarine or butter, and vanilla till light and fluffy.  Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well.  Beat in enough remaining powdered sugar to make frosting of spreading consistency.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I stuck your recipe into a card . http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2638/cassieanddansrecipe.jpg

I hope you like it . The card was from a kit I bought called love to bake . You can find that here

Jackie said...

here is the card. I don't know if my link was cut off or not.